As soon as I walked off the plane in Atlanta, I knew I was in America again, and if I didn't miss my family so much I probably would have turned around and gone right back to Honduras. Everyone and everything was moving way too fast. Living in a tent in rural Honduras for two weeks gives you a whole new perspective about time, family, money, politics and work. It also makes you walk a little bit slower than everyone else and sometimes be late for an appointment. Every now and then you need an experience to slow you down, give you time to think about more than surviving day to day. My days in Honduras were spent hiking out to rural communities visiting schools, water projects, farms, and making home calls. On days I was not hiking I either worked in the dental clinic (I am now skilled at pulling teeth!), the medical clinic or the pharmacy. I also headed up a new microfinance initiative and had the pleasure giving the first loan to a farmer who had been getting charged 50-70% interest on his previous loans. The highlight of my trip was buying and bringing new shoes to a mentally retarded boy with bad foot ulcers that never would have healed if he continued to walk barefoot. As with any trip like this the stories could go on and on, like the emergency race to the hospital with a women in labor needing an urgent C-section or cliff diving or seeing my first case of Mumps, but I'll stop now. Adios!
Brad's gallery of photos from his trip can be seen here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/honduras.photos/2008MayBrigade














0 comments:
Post a Comment