Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Disaster Strikes...

We had a bit of a crisis this afternoon. I have been painting in Naomi's room over the last week or so. I had a gallon of white paint in there today that I was using to paint the frame of a mirror to match her furniture. I have been so careful to keep all the paint away from the kids, but when I finished up this morning I hammered the lid on and set it aside in her room since I was coming back to do a second coat later. I had sent the kids upstairs to get ready for naps and was on my way up when Riley came back down to tell me Naomi had got paint on him. I immediately thought maybe I had left a brush out or something and was pretty sure the damage would be minimal. I was very wrong. I headed up the stairs and heard Naomi start screaming. There she was the top of the stairs covered literally head to toe in white paint. I could not see an inch of skin or clothing on her. The worst part was her entire face was covered...eyes, up the nose, in the mouth...and she kept rubbing her paint coated hands over her face and was screaming because she couldn't open her eyes. Thank God she didn't walk right off the top step! I immediately grabbed her and threw her in the shower which made her scream more, got her eyes and face rinsed, and then the rest of her clothes and all, all the while dreading the mess I was going to find all over my wood floors and who knows where else. I'm still not exactly sure how she did it because the lid was still on when I found the paint can! The only thing I can imagine is that she tried to pick it up and dropped it so that the lid popped off and she put it back on. Then tried to get out of the room and kept slipping in the paint until she was completely covered. Of course she had been holding her favorite blankie when this all happened so that was completely covered in paint and I had to throw it along with her rug right in the washer. Poor baby kept crying for her blankie and I couldn't even give it to her. Riley was so great through all this - he got me my phone while I was washing Naomi so I could call Dr. Dad and make sure paint in the eyes and tummy wouldn't permanently damage my baby. Then he sat with her in his room and read books and when I moved her into her crib he wanted to sit in there and play with her while I cleaned up the mess best I could. I, of course, was sobbing by this point and Riley said, "Mommy are you ok?" I told him I would be ok, I was just upset. He said, "Mommy I want you to be happy. Naomi made the floor beautiful." (He always tells me when I paint, "That looks so beautiful!") That made me crack a smile at least. My dad came over this evening and helped scrape up as much as we could. I'm sure someday this will all seem very funny.... We need to get the floors sanded anyways eventually, so maybe this will motivate us enough to start saving for that. In the meantime, I will be repainting the hallway now that there is a line of white handprints down the wall. At least the footprints are gone :).

3 comments:

Terri said...

Oh Melissa I'm so sorry to hear about the disaster and especially that it was one you dealt with after Brad left for work. Those situations are at least bearable when you are together!! Glad to hear you are already looking forward to it being a laughing matter someday. And very glad to hear Naomi is 'uncovered'. Did the paint come out of her blankie in the wash?

Tami said...

Oh no! That is worse than I thought:o( I feel for you...seriously. I would have been in tears too. So you did get most of the paint off the hardwood? Poor Naomi. I'm glad she's ok. Are you ok? :o)

Melissa said...

I'm still recovering...haha. Yes her blankie (Thank GOD!!!) came clean in the wash. We were able to get most of the paint off the floor, but you can really still tell there was a spill. The floor is really old and has lots of grooves that caught the paint and won't come up unless we sand the floor. I'm still finding paint everywhere on places it splattered too :(.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin