Yup that's right we are going against the flow...the cell phone flow. While most of our families and friends are making the transition to solely cell phones and no land line, we are taking the plunge and getting a land line put in so we can get rid of our cell phones. Are we crazy? You are asking that I'm sure...well maybe, but we have a couple good reasons for doing so and feel that it is a sacrifice we are being called to make. The biggest reason is financial benefit. After taking the Financial Peace course in the Spring, we made some changes and adjustments to our budget and established a plan for paying off our school debt and the one car payment we have (which will be payed off in a few months - almost a year early!). There isn't a whole lot that we can cut out of our budget at this point...but when we figured out that by getting digtal home phone service and nixing the cell phone plan we would save close to $700 a year (yikes and we have a really basic plan too!), we decided that that was something we needed to seriously consider. Even if we stick with just the home phone for 1-2 years, the money we save can help pay off some of our loans and help us meet the amount we committed to giving towards our church's new building campaign. Our plan with Verizon is up Sept 15th so we will be cancelling our service at that time and the phone guys were over today getting us all set up with our home line. We most likely will pocket a much cheaper "pay-as-you-go" phone solely for emergencies, out-of-town travel, and Brad's "on-call" days since doctors really need to be accessible at all times, unfortunately. While it seems a little backwards, I don't think I am going to miss being able to be reached anytime, anywhere...the idea of cell phones is pretty cool, however I think I am going to enjoy the freedom of leaving my house without one...I lived 22 years before ever having a cell phone, I think I'll be okay for a couple more.














1 comments:
I am with you! :o) I have not had a cell phone in over 3 years now. Eamon has had one up until a few weeks ago. We also can't afford it. Sometimes I really wish I had one. But all in all, it's really not that bad:o)
Post a Comment