
This is a recipe we discovered two years ago and has become one of our most favorites at Christmas time. We usually make a couple batches because we love to eat these!
INGREDIENTS
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp hot water
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup quartered maraschino cherries
DIRECTIONS:
In mixing bowl cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs beating well after each. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to mixture alternately with water. Stir in nuts, dates, and cherries.
Drop teaspoonfuls 2 in apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for 8-9 min until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Makes approx 3 doz.














2 comments:
These sound good... but just the word 'date' always scares me away from recipes including them. I guess because I've never tasted them and I have no idea if I'd like them. What are they like?
Hmm I'm not sure the best way to describe them, but I'd just taste them and see. I guess if you like raisins you might like dates - they are just a dried fruit. Honestly these cookies might be a good way to try them because you wouldn't even know they had dates in them if you picked one up at a party and ate it without knowing.
Post a Comment