I love old things. Our house is very old and has a lot of history to it. When we bought our house, we loved the size of the kitchen and it was one of the selling points for us. We saw the potential in it (and the rest of the house) when we moved in 2 1/2 years ago, and it is so much fun to now be able to bring new life into it! It was time for an update, and what a gorgeous change it turned out to be! I love my "new" old kitchen! This is the first really major project we've done other than painting and replacing carpet/flooring and light fixtures in other parts of the house (hopefully more to come in the future!). It isn't completely finished yet (still need to put in the new floor, grout the tile, get curtains, etc. and eventually down the road a new fridge)...
...BUT since I know you are all on the edge of your seats to see what we've been up to, here at last are some photos!
BEFORE:
When we were picking out kitchen "stuff" for our wedding registry 8 years ago, blue was very popular and one of our favorite colors at the time, so our dishes and pots/pans are all blue. Funny that we ended up buying a house with a blue-themed kitchen 5 years later (tile board, counter, walls - we painted them a darker blue).
OUT WITH THE OLD...
The tile board looked like it belonged in a bathroom. That was the first thing to go! And it was glued right to those wood planks - no drywall under it.Our old nasty sink...you saw the close up in the last post, and no I wasn't kidding about how bad it was! :)
The tile board was even glued on the wall to the right of the stove, which I wanted to change to drywall so only the back wall would be tiled.
Our little helper :)We originally were going to try to keep the counter to save some money, but it turned out we were going to have to destroy the old one to get all the tile board off and I'm so glad we ended up getting a new one because it matches perfectly!
Installing the backer board for the tiles (you can see I had been busy painting the walls by now)
New counter and sink (see previous post) are in, cupboard frames are painted, and wall is ready to tile...
Putting up the tile...
LOVE this decorative piece over the stove!
Getting closer...I love how the colors turned out. Not sure how well the pictures show it, but the walls are a gold color and the cabinets are an olive-gray.
Brad touching up some paint for me while I take some pictures...
Close up of the tile...
My old coffee cup clock that inspired my new decor...
AFTER...
And here it is!!!One of two pieces of artwork I found to decorate with to go with my coffee theme!
Hope you enjoyed sharing in our kitchen makeover! I love making things pretty :)
If anyone has a baker's rack they are looking to sell or get rid of let me know! I am looking for one! :)














4 comments:
Wow, I really like it! Congratulations...and I actually have been checking my blog frequently to see if you had posted anything new...couldn't wait to see the finished product. Being in the middle of a renovation myself I feel that I can really rejoice with you that yours is almost over...ours isn't :oP
It looks awesome, Melissa! Kitchens are so great to makeover. We did ours before we moved into our house. I love the colors - its so warm and cozy now. And how awesome to have such a huge window in your kitchen, too! Have you checked Craigslist for a baker's rack? We have found some really good deals on our local Craigslist board for different things.
THANKS!!! I am so happy with how it turned out. Jenney I can't imagine how re-doing the bathroom will be when we get to that point, but I'm sure it will be tons worse than going without a kitchen for a few days :). Hang in there! Sara - yes I did check Craig's list but the pickin's were slim on there. I'll be checking back for sure.
It looks fabulous!! Love all of your choices:o) And I love your inspiration too:o)
Post a Comment