Thursday, June 11, 2009

Walking With Dinosaurs

Anyone who knows Riley knows that he LOVES dinosaurs. One of my favorite things about Riley is his desire to learn. When he gets interested in something, he wants to know everything there is to know about it. For the last 6-8 months, we have been checking out dozens upon dozens of library books about all different kinds of dinosaurs, and he could tell you quite a bit more than an average adult about these prehistoric beasts. (Naomi even soaks up all the things Riley is learning about, and she could probably tell you more about dinosaurs than the average adult!)

He also takes what he learns very seriously. For example, he knows that the T-Rex had only 2 fingers, so when he read a cartoon-style dinosaur book from the library where the T-Rexes were drawn with 4 fingers, he got very upset and didn't want to read the book because it was wrong.

So you can imagine the first thought in my mind when I heard that the arena show, Walking with Dinosaurs was coming to town...how can we not go?! And I am so glad we did! It was incredible! The dinosaurs looked, moved, and sounded real! The show was very family friendly - no violence or scary parts aside from a change in the tone of music or lights to simulate the idea of a battle, or threat, from another dinosaur. I explained to Riley before we went that the dinosaurs were like giant puppets, with machines inside (hydrolics system) that make them look and move like the real dinosaurs. On the way back to the car after the show he exclaimed, "Mommy those were not robot dinosaurs, those were real!" They sure were about as real as we'll ever see, unless they ever open Jurassic Park...not sure I'd be visiting that one. :)


So glad daddy could join us and that I ended up making it after being so sick all week (and I look it)!

You can get an idea of how huge these were by the paleontologist narrator next to them!Intermission fun (he was smiling so big the whole time!)











If you ever get the chance to go to this show, don't miss it! It was definitely an arena spectacular!
If you're not able to go, and want to get a peek at the experience, take a look at a few video clips from the show.

3 comments:

Jenney said...

THat looks really cool! How do you deal with the "millons of years ago" aspect? Did you know Ken Hamm has Creation Museums?

Melissa said...

Those are good questions. With all the books we've read, we've had to address that. I honestly usually skip over phrases like that in books and just say "a long time ago." I don't think he quite grasps the concept yet, but we have told him we believe dinosaurs and people used to live at the same time. And we talk to him often, including after the show in the car, about how some people believe dinosaurs and everything else in the world was made by accident, but we believe that God made everything. As he gets older I'm sure we will have to address those issues in more detail.

Yes, the creation museum in KY opened shortly before we moved away from Cincinnati, and we hope to get there on one of our trips back down there! I have purchased a couple great kids books by Ken Hamm (like D is for Dinosaur) that give a Christian perspective of the dinosaurs.

JoAnna said...

So, So COOL! It makes me happy to know that you were able to take Riley! The pictures say it all! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin