This was definitely something new for me and not something I normally would have tried except that Brad has been asking to have cornish hens for months now. Last month at the grocery store he spotted them in the freezer section and snuck one in the cart, so here I am today cooking my first cornish hen. This is a recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook and it was SO easy! It took me only 5 minutes to get it in the oven!
INGREDIENTS:
2 Rock Cornish hens
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon poppy seeds (I omitted because I didn't have any)
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray rack of shallow roasting pan with non-stick spray.
2. Cut each hen in half; place skin side down in roasting pan. (I left mine whole and it was fine). Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Whisk together the honey, poppy seeds, mustard and ginger. Brush over both sides of the hens.
4. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in the thickest part of the thigh muscle and not touching bone.
5. Roast uncovered for 1 hour turning once, until thermometer reads 180 degrees and juice of hens is no longer pink when center of thigh is cut.
Buon Appetito!

2 comments:
I've always wondered about cornish hens myself. Never tried them though. Do they taste any different than chicken? This recipe sounds very tasty - may have to try it sometime!
I made a recipe blog, too. http://holleboomkitchen.blogspot.com/ if you're interested. Only a couple of posts so far, but its a start finally! :)
They taste pretty much like chicken. The meat was very tender - it was tasty! I would make this again cause it was so easy too.
I will definitely be checking your blog out - I am excited to try some of your recipes too!
Post a Comment