Tuesday, June 16, 2009

So Proud

This past weekend, after going through 10+ years of schooling and training together, we reached a significant milestone in Brad's career. On Saturday, Brad officially graduated from family medicine residency, receiving both the Residency Teacher award elected by his peers, and the Women's Health Care award. Since then, I have had people ask me the funniest questions...like, "So does that mean he can start working now?" Um...well I'm pretty sure he's been working his tail off the last 10 years, so I'm not sure how to answer that one. And..."Does that mean he's a real doctor now?" Well, he's been an MD treating patients for the last 3 years, so if he wasn't a real doctor before now, those people might be in a lot of trouble.

Another question I am frequently asked now is, "so what's next?" Well, first and foremost, what's next is a 6 week break starting June 25th. No pagers, no call, no conferences, no nothing except time together as a family and lots of rest! Within that time, we are taking a 3 week trip up the East coast. (We did this same trip 6 years ago when my nephew was born, but it was BK...before kids, so it will be a whole new experience this time!) We will camp the first week, spending time in NH, Maine, New Brunswick, and ending up in Halifax, NS. There we will visit Brad's sister's home and the rest of his family for a little over a week, including a couple days in PEI with Brad's sister and her husband while the kids stay with Nana and Papa! Then we have the 3rd week to head back home at our leisure and will be celebrating our 8th wedding anniversary. It will be wonderful.

What's next for Brad's career? Brad is continuing his training to get further experience in a Maternal and Prenatal care fellowship, where he will be certified to perform c-sections as a part of his family practice. This fellowship will take a year, and will be completed at the same hospital and clinic he has been a part of the last 3 years. He loves the philospohy of health care within the family medicine system, and prenatal care and delieveries are a major part of that system, especially in the inner city.

Since we've been together since high school, I have seen him through a lot in the last decade. I have seen him complete pre-med undergrad, with a wife and full time job as a medical tech, in only 3 years. I have seen him work up to 120 hours a week outside the home in medical school and flourish at the top of his class and in the high esteems of the nurses and professors, while becoming a first time daddy. I have seen him accepted into a top residency program, while our family grew, working massive hours at the office and hospital only to come home and clean the kitchen for me and play with the kids. I have seen him receive many awards and acclamations for his high achievements, his quality of character, and his excellence in his profession. And I have to say I couldn't be prouder of how much he has accomplished in the last 10 years, and how he is not only an amazing doctor, but the best husband and daddy we could ever ask for.

I think you can see just how proud I am of my best friend in the picture above. I love you Brad!


9 comments:

Mary Vigil said...

YEAH! Congrats! Have fun on vacation - Praise the Lord for 6 weeks of family time. Lots of love my sweet friend!

jeck said...

Aww this post made me cry!!! And yes you can see how proud you are in that picture!

Congrats!!!!

Have a wonderful vacation!! You guys totally deserve it!!

Terri said...

Wow, that is awesome! Some people don't work that hard their whole lifetime - kudos to Brad (esp for STILL helping out at home) - isn't it amazing how they still have energy for that? So THRILLED for you and your fam that you get 6 weeks with Brad all to yourselves! Good luck on the road tripping. Even though some parts might be "less than ideal" with 2 kids it will be SO memorable and worth it!

Jenney said...

Congratulations Brad! Melissa, you married a keeper...but I thought that way back in undergrad!

JoAnna said...

Congratulations to both you and Brad! He has worked so hard and you have supported him the whole way! What an exciting time in the lives of the VanH's! :) Now, let the good times roll!! :)

A Cooking Bookworm said...

Congratulations, Brad and family! Hope you all enjoy a much needed vacation and may the Lord continue to bless you guys!

http://benstephandmegan.blogspot.com

The Voogts said...

Congratulations, Brad!!! Enjoy your trip and some quality family time.

Julie Snider said...

I am so proud of Brad too, and I am so glad he has such a wonderful supportive wife. You guys are great!

karen said...

Congratulations Brad! Hope your family enjoys a much earned vacation. I miss you all and look forward to seeing you when I get home! Love ya :O)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin