So, with all the questions I've been getting about what's going on with these contractions and why haven't they moved up the c-section and all, I figured I would explain a bit about what's going on. Basically, I am in the small percentage of women who go through what is called Prodromal Labor and prolonged latent labor. I was lucky that I never reached this point with my daughter, but it did happen with my first son, so it is extra frustrating to go through it again when my body really doesn't need to get ready for labor. It just means that I am using a lot of energy now that will make me a lot more tired when the baby does come.
Prodromal labor can feel a lot like active labor, but it is not consistently progressive. It does help prepare the body for active labor and most women go through it without even noticing or feeling a thing...while others feel too much, like me. It can last only hours for some, or days for others, and can be very exhausting. I have a flat pelvis which makes it more difficult to have a natural childbirth, which could cause a lack of progression and contribute to this.
Many people have asked me why then haven't they just done the c-section already. Well, if I complained enough they probably would, but my first priority is the health of the baby and not my own personal comfort level (although that is quickly reaching it's limit after 9 days of this). Everytime we have had the baby monitored during this stage, he has had an excellent heartrate and shown signs that he is thriving and healthy. Technically, I am not considered "term" until 38 weeks which is in another day, so since the baby is totally fine, and not overly huge, there really isn't a good reason if I'm not in active labor. This week, that might change since I am just about 38 weeks, but since I've made it this far we are going to stick with the planned date for now.
I am functioning at a pretty low level, which is especially hard for me. I took Riley to preschool for the first time in a week (he had been sick with a fever and cough), and it pretty much took all my energy for most of the day to drop him off and pick him up. My stomach muscles feel strained from contracting for so long already and pretty much all my lower back and leg muscles are crampy and get pulled very easily with little movement. I am sleeping in small spurts at night, and resting/napping several times a day or at least laying in bed or on the couch, whenever the kids will give me a few quiet moments. They have been pretty good about it and know that mommy is extra tired from the baby. They are getting very excited to countdown to his birthday and their cute comments about getting to meet their baby brother do keep me smiling.
So there we go. I'm excited to be in the home stretch, but more than ready to get some level of function back although I know I need to be realistic about my post-surgical abilities. After today at least we know it will be 6 days or less till we meet this little man and at this point we are MORE than ready!
Monday, December 14, 2009
What's Happening to Me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Praying over you my friend... Praying the Lord gives you strength, rest, peace and laughter. Much love!
Thanks for the update! What you described sounds very much like what happened with all 3 of mine, but I never knew there was a name for it! (and they all ended in C-sections). We'll be praying for a healthy delivery and speedy recovery! If its any consolation, my third was actually the easiest recovery because I now had 2 little helpers to bring me things or do little jobs. I just gave orders from the couch. =)
Wow, you must be exhausted. I'll be praying for you and the health of your new little one!
Thanks for the encouragement and prayers! It means a lot, especially since I'll take all the help I can get sticking it out to the end - 3 more days!!! :)
Post a Comment