So, I'm ready to reveal the project I've been working on the last couple days. My new favorite site (ok one of them) is called Knock Off Wood and it's by a woman named Ana who builds things. And not only does she build things, but she builds things that are really awesome copies of furniture from some pretty expensive or well known companies aka knock offs. And besides that she empowers other people, especially women, to build their own furniture by providing the plans for them! The first time I saw her site I had a list in my head of about 20 things I wanted to try to build! I narrowed it down to start out with an outdoor dining table since we love to eat out on our patio, but we always squeeze at our tiny little hand-me-down table, with the intention of continuing with the entire set if the table goes well. And it did! The set is a knock off from this set from West Elm pictured below.

Pretty cool, right?! I love it. And I love my new dining table. And I can't wait to get started on the bench and chairs...and several other pieces but let's start here.
Laying out the slats (I cleaned the wood and stained the base and the slats separately before screwing them down to get a nice coverage with the stain.)
Oh yeah, did I mention this table goes for $400 from the retailer?! Yeah this cost me a bit less :).
P.S. I appreciate Ana's desire to empower others to try and do new things and I hope I do the same for you because, frankly, I am just an ordinary person. I am me. And if I can do it, so can you. :)

4 comments:
Melissa! You are amazing! Awesome! Don't you feel so great about this! You should! I know I would!
YaY! Clap! Clap! Can't wait to see more! Seriously, can you tell I am so excited that you made this?
Hey Mel, Great table. Makes me want to hop in the car and come over for a BBQ :)
So proud of you! Way to go. Hubby and I have already gotten the plans for one of the Pottery Barn coffee tables, but we are waiting for a little extra budget to actually make it. Looks like you got the "Ana bug". You have further inspired me.
http://www.agnesandco.com
Hahaha thanks Jen! Sara Jo come on over! (if it weren't for the 3 day drive...) Thanks Becky and thanks for stopping by! You'll have to let me know when you make that coffee table!
Post a Comment