Sunday, July 27, 2008

Pesto Sauce

A family favorite for years and years has been fresh pesto. We use it as a sauce over pasta as well as on our pizza crust or to make some great pesto and cheese breadsticks. We always have a big pesto-making day every year in my family so that we have enough to freeze for the whole year (tip: use ice cube trays for perfect serving sizes!). My family introduced Brad to pesto and it has become one of his all time favorites. So last week he was dying to make a fresh batch from the basil in our garden. We used lemon basil, instead of regular basil, for the first time which gave it a really savory flavor! I would definitely use it again! We had it over spagetti with a side of asparagus and everyone cleaned their plates, even the kids!


INGREDIENTS:


* 2 cups fresh basil, lightly packed


* 1 cup olive oil


* 1 cup Parmesan cheese


* 2 cloves fresh garlic


* 1 tsp salt


* dash of nutmeg


* 1/2 cup pine nuts (or almonds, walnuts, or pistachios)


DIRECTIONS:

Blend all ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth. Mix well before serving. Makes approx. 1 1/2 cups (for 1 lb pasta)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa, when you freeze your pesto, do you already have the parmesan in it? Does it turn out ok with you thaw it? I still plan to make a bunch to freeze, but havent't yet b/c I keep reading conflicting views on whether to add the cheese before freezing or not... I'd rather have it all ready to go when I thaw it and not have to add the cheese at that point... just seems easier to me. :)

Anonymous said...

Definitely trying this one! Yum! BTW, I did make the pizza and sauce, and we all loved it! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Yes, we've always frozen it after the cheese is mixed in and never had a problem.

Anonymous said...

Emily glad you liked the pizza recipes! :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, that is great to know! I'll be freezing it with the cheese in it, then. Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

I was wondering the same thing about freezing with the cheese in. I've only done it once and left the cheese out. Good to know it works ok with the cheese. Much easier. I've been wanting to make a big batch of pesto lately too! I'm planning to try the pizza this week. I'm sure it will be great.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin