Friday, July 11, 2008

Rainy Day Musings

We have been blessed with some really beautiful weather lately, but today we woke up to a gloomy, rainy day which has allowed us to slow down our pace of life a bit and catch up on things.
On Wednesday we attended a memorial service for a little man named Howard who was a giant in the faith. He was Brad's Sunday School teacher back in Jr. High and was not only a friend to our family over many many years, but a great example to us of humility, service, and love for God and for people. He will be missed here on earth, but the impact of his life will remain with us for years to come.

Brad is spending a lot of time this month working in the clinic which has been nice for him. He has also been visiting other clinics in the area. He went to one this week that is a Christian practice. He was impressed by how much time the doctor spent with his patients and with how well he knew each of them. Brad loved how this doctor practiced medicine with the focus being the people and not the medicine. That is exactly what Brad loves about family medicine and strives for in his own practice.

I have been trying to catch up on things here around the house lately. I finished up decorating Riley's room this week. It had been mostly finished for awhile now, but I got around to painting the bottom half of the walls blue (the top is still beige) and painted his dresser.



I have a bunch of ideas for finishing up Naomi's room, so now that Riley's room is basically done I can work on her's some more. It's funny to think by this age with Riley we had switched him to a twin bed because she was due to arrive shortly, but I think we will be keeping her in the crib a bit longer. It's fun to start looking at the bedding though and we are picking up a bed for her from my grandparents this weekend. I'll post photos when her room is finished too although that may be awhile yet!

Aside from my decorating pleasures, I have exciting news this morning! My new laptop has been ordered! We have reached the point where we just can't not get it anymore. Our current one is not running properly and we have been removing any and all "non-essential" programs and documents from it because we keep getting full memory messages. It's running super slow and is ready to retire from being the primary computer in our home. The most exciting thing is that we got it for $400 less than the retail and were able to use my business money, plus the money from the sale of our pc, and the rest from our stimulus check, so no financing! Hooray! Still had to finagle a bit in our budget because we originally weren't planning on using any stimulus money towards this, but decided that because it is a necessity now we will have to sacrifice some other things for the time being. But we know God is good and He has ALWAYS provided for us even when we had next to nothing.

And to conclude this morning here are some "Riley-isms" from this week:
I had moved his chair and bed to the middle of the room when I was painting yesterday so the two kids were climbing between them. Riley started jumping from the bed to the chair, and because the cushion was off I told him it wasn't a good idea because he could break through the bottom of the chair. His reply with all sincerity was,"But momma I am not jumping I am flying."

Yesterday, the kids were playing and I hear Riley reading a book to Naomi. Then he picks up his lunchbox, and says, "Ok I can't play now I have to go to work." I asked him where he worked and he said, "At the hospital. I help people like daddy."

While I was typing this, Naomi fell asleep on the floor and Riley was snuggled up next to her. I love my kids. :)

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin