For some reason I seem to be in "Christmas mode" really early this year. I'm not sure if it's been all the sickness and long work hours that makes me anxious for gathering with family and friends for celebrations. Or the thought of yummy holiday foods and decorations. Or the fact that my kids are old enough this year to really "get it" and that will make it even more fun. This has to be the first year on record that I began my Christmas shopping before the end of October. My goal this year is to be finished with my shopping by Thanksgiving (which is when I would normally start) and here is my reasoning: I dislike Christmas shopping. There, I said it. I do not enjoy being at the mall in general, let alone any store, when it is jam packed with greedy, pushy shoppers and overloaded with a plethora of gift options that frankly makes choosing practically impossible. But, I absolutely LOVE picking out gifts for people, and I definitely want to teach my kids to think of others' needs and wants...Christmas is a great opportunity for that. So in order to beat the system, I am going to stroll leisurely through the less crowded isles and choose gifts from the less crowded shelves a good two months in advance, thus allowing me to be able to fully enjoy the entire month of December, focusing on the greatest Gift of all, without any need to immerse myself in the over-commercialized world of Santa and Rudolph. And since all the Christmas decorations are out at the stores well before Halloween, I can imagine while I'm at the store that Christmas is right around the corner anyway :).
Every year for the last 4 years, we look forward to participating in Operation Christmas Child. It is an awesome ministry sponsored by Samaritan's Purse who collects shoe boxes full of gifts for underprivileged children in foreign countries. Today we went to the store to pick out items and let the kids pack the box for a little boy, aged 2-4. It was great to talk with Riley about it, and he and Naomi got right to work coloring a Christmas card picture to include in the box for the little boy his age. I pray as they get older they will grow in their care and concern for people who are less fortunate than we are and in this small way can share a blessing with another child.














3 comments:
We also do and love Operation Christmas Child. James is going to do his first box this year. It is such a great ministry. I love the idea of coloring a card to include in the box!
Marley and I had a blast putting our box together. I showed her a video that was on their website to help her better understand that the items were not for HER. :)
If you go to http://www.samaritanspurse.org/images/occ_art/ColoringPages.pdf you can print off an info sheet to fill out and put in the box too. Just FYI!
What a great idea!
Post a Comment