Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Home Improvement

Well, we started our first really major house project this week! With Brad's parents in town we thought we'd put them right to work and use our Christmas money towards fixing up the kitchen. The last couple years Brad and I have decided not to buy any major gifts for each other, just a couple small things to open and enjoy on Christmas. Then after the holiday we use our Christmas money towards something we wouldn't normally buy and this year we decided to put it toward the kitchen (it was between that and iPod speakers and we figured we'd rather have a nicer kitchen :)...). Our house is 100+ years old and beyond needing the original porcelain sink replaced (it was pretty disgusting) and a new faucet (the old one was awful and the hose sprayer didn't work), we decided to tear out the tile board (that looked like it belonged in a bathroom not a kitchen) and paint the walls and cupboards to match the warm tones in our home rather than the stark blue and white. And Brad's parents generously bought us a new counter top as well, which was perfect because the old one really didn't match our new color scheme (although we were prepared to live with it) and once we started tearing things out we realized we were going to have to crack it apart to get it up rather than be able to remove it nicely and reinstall. So God knew we were going to need it! Once all that is finished, we are also replacing the laminate tile on the floor (which is missing pieces in a few spots and impossible to keep clean) with a wood laminate similar to our floor in the playroom. We are about halfway done after 2 days and I already love it! I can't wait to see the finished result! I have been taking pictures through the process and will be posting before/during/after photos when we are done!

We are really enjoying having Papa and Nana here besides all their help on the house. The kids have been talking to them on the phone so much lately that they immediately knew them this time and have been having a blast! First thing in the morning they both started calling for Nana and then looking for Papa, and they had their special traditional trip to Tim Horton's today. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

5 comments:

Terri said...

can't wait for pictures - fun fun! Hope the not so fun part goes quickly!! Are you guys doing the work yourselves?

Melissa said...

Yup we're doing it all ourselves! :)

Les said...

My son calls my parents nana and papa too :). And believe it or not, when we visited them in Michigan my dad brought Luke "timbits" every morning. That is crazy! Can't wait to see the kitchen

Tami said...

oooo...I can't wait to see! I'm in the re-decorating mood too! I just can't decide on colors though...that's half of my problem! What did you choose?

Jamie and Emily said...

Did you say it was Pastor Rich and Lynette visiting? Tell them I said hi! =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin