Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fit for Summer

So after this brief, but welcome, taste of spring we had going on last week, how many besides myself got this raging urge to get out and exercise away the damage of winter lethargy and holiday indulgences?

Well my instant motivation to chisel away the extra pounds before summer inspired me to start counting calories. Not so much to drastically change anything, but to be more aware of what I'm putting in my body. It's even super easy because (as the commercial says)...there's an app for that! For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, it is my iPod Touch and there is an app (application) you can add to it for just about anything you can think of. All I have to do is punch in the foods and serving size and voila! I have a running total of my daily calorie intake. If it's that easy, even I can do it!

Now those of you who know me pretty well know I have never been fanatical about weight loss (or gain), and don't believe in dieting as much as healthy living. And let's face it, when the brownies are on the table, I certainly will not be sitting out. BUT I have always believed everything in moderation: I do eat tons of fruits and veggies, AND when I do snack it is usually healthy stuff like hummus and carrots or cottage cheese and fruit. So it all balances out, right? :)

I like to exercise...but almost exclusively outdoors. I would much rather take a walk, enjoy the scenery, breath the fresh air, than go to a gym and walk on a treadmill. Or work out in the yard (and that can build a sweat!). Or go swimming. That's just me. I've tried the whole gym thing and it just doesn't do it for me and neither do workout videos...I just feel silly the whole time and hope my neighbors can't really see in my windows. Unfortunately, winter doesn't cater to the activities I most enjoy and so physical activity is at a minimum. So this weekend I hauled out the 1980's exercise bike that weighs 500 tons and has been collecting dust in my parent's basement and am determined to ride it a little bit every day until I can get outside and walk more.

Well Sunday was an inspirational interesting day on this journey of getting fit for summer. It all began with trying on three pairs of pants that are a tad too tight, only to choose the least tight of the three because by sucking in I could actually get it zipped and buttoned. I also chose a shirt that was longer in length (to hide the booty) and kind of flowy in the front (to hide the belly)...yeah, I've watched What Not To Wear and let's just say Clinton and Stacy would have been proud.

So I arrive at church, somewhat happy with what I ended up wearing, although the tight waist on the pants was a bit extremely uncomfortable. I take my kids to the sign-in table for their class, and the older lady signing in the kids gives me a funny smile and says, "Are you hiding something?"

Um. What?!

I quickly rack my brain to think what in the world she is referring to...what deep dark secret does this lady know about me...and all I can think of is maybe she thinks I have a wig on because my hair color is so different (?!?!). So I say, "What? My hair? I know it's different but..."
and I am cut off my my dear husband who kindly solves the mystery for me by whispering, "No she is talking about your shirt."

My shirt? What? "No! NO!" I scream, "I am hiding NOTHING!" and I grab my children's hands and rush them to their classroom. As we get to the atrium I accost my dear husband, "Was she asking if I'm pregnant?! Yes I'm hiding something - my big BELLY! Am I THAT fat?! I can't believe that just happened!" He answers by saying, "Well, you are wearing a maternity shirt."

Wrong answer. I was not wearing a maternity shirt. I was wearing (what I thought was) a cute, stylish shirt from Charlotte Russe who wouldn't know the definition of the word maternity.
I know my hips have doubled in size since having two kids, but I'm sorry you just don't ask someone that unless they obviously have either a watermelon or a baby under their shirt!

Then I was redeemed, but still reeling from the previous incident, when I was on my way out to the car and stopped by High Point to catch up on a few things. My dear friend straight out said, "You've lost weight, haven't you!"... only for me to go into a rampage about how I've actually gained weight and couldn't fit into my pants and even got asked earlier if I was hiding a pregnant belly. But THANK YOU dear friend for making me feel a bit better.

So I ended the weekend only slightly scarred. I'm loving diligently using this exercise bike. And I can't wait for spring.

3 comments:

Tami said...

ahahahahaha...ok...this one made me laugh! I can SO relate...only I could be mistaken for pregnant pretty much any day! I think you look great! I need some motivation over here too!

Maria said...

Melissa, you look great and not pregnant at all! Your post made me really laugh. Those stylish flowing shirts definitely hide a lot of extra baggage (speaking for ME!) but can be misleading. Thanks for giving me a chuckle.

JoAnna said...

WHAT!?! Was that lady smoking crack!? :) LOL! You are so beautiful...inside and out and not in any way do you look pregnant! It amazes me what people say before they think!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin