This is a week I would refer to myself as a resident's widow. I caught a brief glimpse of my husband last night as I was dozing to sleep, but I haven't had a conversation with him since...hmmm....Tuesday. And I won't again until Friday evening...or possibly Saturday afternoon if he's late coming home Friday. I haven't even been able to talk to him on the phone.
I had plans Monday night with friends, but then had to scramble last minute to find a babysitter because Brad had to work late. Then Monday night he was called in at 2:30 in the morning for a delivery that didn't happen until the middle of the afternoon on Tuesday. Then he was on practice call (taking after-hour calls for the clinic) all night and you'd be surprised at the incredibly stupid things people will call about at 3am. Wednesday he left before I was awake, and came home as I was falling asleep, and left again this morning before I was awake and has to stay for a meeting after work today. I'm not sure the last time the kids saw him.
I have lunch plans on Saturday that have been scheduled for a couple months now, and just found out he has to work, so now I am scrambling (again) to make arrangements for the kids so I don't miss seeing friends I only get to see a few times a year. And I was further disappointed to realize upon receiving another friend's wedding invitation in the mail yesterday that Brad will be on his trip to Honduras that day and I will be attending alone (anyone wanna be my date?).
This is my life. I had a friend ask me last night if I was used to it by now and I wasn't sure how to answer except that this is my life. I guess I am used to it, but it's still hard and not fun. Some weeks and months are better than others and those are the ones we look forward to and keep us going. It's easy to feel trapped on weeks like this because the days are very very long, and I can't just make plans for an evening or a weekend without it being complicated. Thankfully I was able to make arrangements to go out Monday night, and last night our small group went out for dinner (my kids were at their church program) so that has helped break up the week for me.
Despite all this, there are two things I know:
Doctors work harder and sacrifice more than anybody on this planet and are often underappreciated and too often disrespected.
As much as I miss him, I love my husband and am so proud of him. I wouldn't wish for anything else but that he continues to love helping the sick and needy.














4 comments:
Aww so sweet! I can kind of relate! We own a poultry farm and my hubby has a day job too. So basically he has 2 jobs! There is always something needing to be done at the farm and he gets in late on most nights! We do have down time between our flocks and we always look forward to that time!
BTW are you on facebook?
That is no fun. I am so sorry about his schedule...my husband was pre-med for most of his college career and decided after talking to several doctors that he did not want that schedule. Not that his schedule now is peaches or anything, but it is NOT what you are describing.
Hope everything gets better.
You are definitely right about the disrespect thing. I was in the ER twice last week and one of those times I had to wait 6 hrs. before finally being seen. I was NOT a happy camper...I was as polite as I could be, but I'm thinking now about how the Doc probably didn't want to be there all night either! You are one tough lady...is Brad doing residency or is life going to stay this way for quite awhile for you???
I know that can be frustrating. I have been there myself!
He graduates from residency in June, but is doing a fellowship next year in OB. After that he will probably split his time between the clinic and the hospital, but I think we are stuck with the crazy hours for awhile.
Post a Comment