Monday, March 2, 2009

Yes People

For the longest time, Brad and I have been drawn to people we fondly call Yes People. These are people who 9 times out of 10 will say yes when we invite them to do things, and will usually reciprocate the invitation just as often. Since we were first married, I can remember us identifying people we knew we'd be good friends with because of this quality. "We should call so and so. They are Yes People."

Moving back to the city we grew up in was easy in a lot of ways. It was a familiar place where a lot of my family lives and a church that had had many members who we had known since we were very young. But in some ways we were starting over, especially since most of our friends had moved away since we'd been in school. Immediately I started getting a feel for people, and trying to find someone who'd be my friend.

Sounds a lot like the first day of school, right?

Funny how we all have that ageless need to find people we connect with on a deeper level than the status of the weather. I had a monthly girl's night at my house for awhile to try to get to know people. But once Naomi was born it was harder to keep up with it and felt like I was the only one initiating anything. I also got the feeling that most people had friendships already and weren't really looking for new ones. That probably wasn't necessarily true, but I never had anyone really reach out to me being the new one. We joined our small group and have been blessed with some great friendships through that ministry, and I have developed some relationships through MOPS as well. I know if it weren't for small group, Brad wouldn't have been able to develop relationships with any of the guys with how much he works.

Since we moved back here I have been wishing and praying for a friend who would just reach out to me and share in the stage of life we are in whether it be the ups or the downs. We really needed someone in our lives who would pursue us. It's hard to always be the initiators and I think we just got burnt out from it, at least I know I did.

A few months ago, God brought some friends into our lives who have been a huge answer to this prayer for us. We have been so blessed that an old friend, Manny, moved back into town with his wife Kathryn and their three beautiful children whom we and our kids just adore. (The other day, Riley and Naomi were arguing over who loved the girls, Mia and Emma, more. And Emma is the one who Naomi named her doll after). I feel somewhat ashamed that I kind of gave up on that prayer, thinking that it was a friendship that I just wasn't going to have in my life, at least not now. We have connected with this family on so many different levels. Kathryn has gone out of her way to be such a sweet, loving friend to me. And they are Yes People! Friday night we spontaneously decided to go to the Museum of Play together - 4 adults and 5 kids and it was a blast! (Thanks Jayne for the free guest passes!) Not to mention that was the second time that week we had got together. We love that they are just up for anything and not afraid to give us a call!

Here are a couple pictures from that night. Unfortunately my camera battery died after the first 5 minutes we were there. But with or without photos, we had an amazing time and are so thankful for these friends in our lives, and that God is faithful to answer our prayers! We are looking forward to many more fun memories with this family!
Photobucket

3 comments:

jeck said...

So glad you wrote this post. I have been struggling with the same thing. You reminded me that I should not just pray for others but pray for myself too. I let my needs get lost in the shuffle!

Pineapple Princess said...

I love it when God answers those very specific prayers.
I wish we lived closer. I bet we'd be fast friends!!! :)

Melissa said...

I'm glad it was an encouragement to you - I was debating writing it or not, but it was definitely on my heart so I had to share. Do pray because God does care about these things in our life! But be patient for an answer too...it took almost 3 years living here before these friends came along.

Wouldn't that be fun? I'm sure we'd be great friends!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin