Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Baby Paraphernalia

It's amazing how with the third baby there really isn't much to purchase for them, especially if you've already had one of each gender. Since I have been in major "clean out" mode this isn't such a bad thing (for our bank account either!), but I have to admit it is pretty fun to wander the baby aisles and admire all the cute stuff. There have been a few things we have purchased over the last couple weeks in preparation for baby boy -- mostly things that I didn't have back when my other two were babies, and I could justify buying when there isn't much we need.

I bought him one little newborn outfit {wish you could feel it - it is SOOO soft and snuggly! and the hood has little bear ears, hehe}, that I am thinking will be his "coming home" outfit. I never owned any newborn clothes for Riley--they were all 0-3 mo, which I remember being extremely too large for him the first 2-3 weeks. He looked silly in everything I had brought for him at the hospital, so I am hoping this snuggly little outfit will fit our new little one better. And at least he'll be able to say at least one outfit he wore as a baby wasn't a hand me down from his big brother :).


I also got him a little pair of leathery shoes from Target that I didn't discover as wonderful until I had Naomi, so I only have a couple girly pairs that I won't make him wear {wink}. I knew he needed these great little booties, especially since he will be a winter baby and need to keep his tootsies warm! They are the only type of baby shoe I could ever get to stay on, and don't you just love the giraffes?!

We have purchased our very first pack of diapers in many many months. It was slightly painful (lol) but we figured we'd better start stocking up now, so I'm going to try and pick up a pack each time we go grocery shopping so we have a couple on hand when he arrives.

I have a friend who introduced me to this very handy nursing cover that she has been using with her little boy. It is a large piece of fabric with an adjustable strap that goes around your neck like an oversized apron. It also is made so the middle top stays stiff and doesn't smother the baby like a blanket tends to do and you can see your baby as you are nursing. It also folds up super small because it's as thin as a piece of fabric, and doesn't overheat the baby like a blanket. I wish I had one of these with my first two! I was thinking about making one, but I realized by the time I'd have the time and energy I might as well purchase one...which I did for a very reasonable price on Etsy. Just search for {nursing covers} and you'll get all kinds of great options and fabric choices.



And the final purchase thus far, which took me a loooong time to decide to make after a lot of research and pricing, was a baby carrier. I never had a great one when I had Riley. I think we picked an old one up at a garage sale and it ended up being so uncomfortable and awkward we never really used it, but he mostly rode in the stroller anyways. With Naomi a carrier was a huge essential! We borrowed a Baby Bjorn from a friend that was one of the most used baby items we had, especially for walks and grocery shopping because Riley was so little he needed to be in the cart/stroller. I remember how much we used the carrier, and Brad agreed we wanted to have one that we really liked and will be functional and comfortable for both of us to use.

I researched everything -- slings and pouches, baby wraps and soft carriers, structured carriers and backpacks -- and we finally decided on the Beco Butterfly II carrier. I was leaning toward a mei tai, but was worried that it wouldn't be supportive enough, so when I found this similar version, but with more structure and buckles instead of tying fabric, I knew I found the winner. The reviews were top notch all around, and I love that it can be used as a front or a back carrier pretty easily {you can put the baby in and then put it on your back instead of needing an extra person to put the baby in after you put it on}. It also comes with an infant insert so you can start using it even when your baby is still pretty tiny. There isn't much variation in price out there, but if you sign up on BabySnazz you can get 5% off your purchase and free shipping, which is the best deal I could find...and they have some exclusive prints that you won't find anywhere else, like the Henna Garden one I chose. I can't wait to get it and try it out!




Can't believe we are at 28 weeks and there isn't long to go. I looked at my baby girl on Sunday, all dressed for church, and it hit me how grown up she looked! She's only going to be my baby for a few more weeks, but she's not even a baby anymore!


And I'm sure she will look even more grown up to me in 2 1/2 months when her baby brother arrives!

4 comments:

Mary Vigil said...

I am so excited for you... I am excited to see pictures of the new little one. Keep the updates coming, I love reading them my sweet friend. You are covered in my prayers - Much love!

Melinda said...

Aren't those tiny baby clothes the sweetest?! Good idea stocking up on diapers and wipes...we need to start that too. Love the carrier you chose. I've been doing research on them but haven't made a decision yet. Not much longer now!!

Melinda

Tami said...

So cute...I love what you picked. And I agree about those shoes...Matthew had the same exact giraffe ones and I loved them! I'm so excited for you! :o)

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

your blog is adorable!
And isnt baby shopping so fun!!!
It almost makes me want another one!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin