Saturday, October 24, 2009

Master Bedroom Makeover



Well here is the reveal of our master bedroom makeover. I was hesitant to post yet, because in my mind there are still quite a few details to take care of -- minor things like scraping windows and touching up paint for the most part. Plus, I am not completely happy with the bedding/pillows yet, but I created a temporary fix until I find exactly what I'm looking for. However, the major things are finished and there is definitely a huge difference in the look and feel of the room.

As I said in the previous post, we did this makeover on a very small budget. Here is the breakdown of the makeover:

- 1 Gallon of pure white semi-gloss Behr paint -- $22
- 1 Gallon of Black Suede eggshell Behr paint -- $22
- New knobs and pulls for my dresser -- $25
- Silver spray paint - free
- 3 Bamboo shades - $40
- DIY headboard (see previous post)- $40
- silk flowers -- $4
- hooks -- $10
- art above bed -- $22
- drapes - reused (our old dining room curtains)
- curtain rods - reused (previously in living room)
- iron scroll above bed -- taken from kitchen
- frames above dresser --taken from kitchen
- bed cover and pillowcases -- sewn from our old living room scarf curtains
- wooden quote -- repainted
- everything else in the room pretty much was there

Total $185.00! We then splurged on one new piece of furniture *an electric fireplace/entertainment unit!!!* that we got an for an amazing price (also at Mr. 2nds!) and it is what we decided on for our Christmas gift "to ourselves" this year as we do each year. (Rather than buying any major gifts for each other, we choose something together for our home or family that we wouldn't otherwise buy). It is my favorite part of the room!



It was hard to get some good photos with the gloomy day we had today, but here you go. I'm a little embarrassed to show the before pictures. This was my least favorite room in the house, and as I have said before, the catch-all room for all the junk and stuff lying around that we didn't want to deal with when we'd clean up the rest of the house for company. I debated cleaning the room really well before the "before" photos, but decided to leave it because that's pretty much how it usually looked...until NOW! :)


BEFORE:


AFTER:






We built our new headboard, and then I bought a small framed piece of art and the two round cast iron hangings, which I spray painted black. The cast iron hanging above completed the ensemble, and that was a piece I took from our kitchen (need to find something else to go above the cupboards now!) Those sconces in the before pictures I moved to the opposing wall on either end. The bed cover I made from our old living room scarf curtains. I also sewed matching pillowcases. Eventually I want to get a new comforter and/or some different pillow covers and decorative pillows, but I am still looking for the right ones.

BEFORE:


AFTER:




I painted all the dark trim in the room, including the massive closet doors, white and it just made everything else look so much better. The wall color looks amazing, and it is so much brighter and crisper of a look.

BEFORE:


AFTER:




DURING:


AFTER:


We moved Brad's dresser into his closet and replaced it with our new fireplace which fits the wall so much better.

BEFORE:


AFTER:








I painted my dresser with the same black paint as the headboard and replaced the knobs and pulls (which I looove!) The frames above the dresser were originally in the kitchen, but I didn't particularly like them with the color of the walls in there. I took the coffee pictures out (and hung them without the frames) and replaced them with a white backing and two of my favorite black and white photos. I just need to get a couple pieces of glass cut for them.

BEFORE:


AFTER:








I painted our pine Big Lots night stands black, and spray painted the fixtures silver.

BEFORE:

AFTER:


We removed the chair and used the leftover molding from the headboard project to hang some hooks on the wall for hats, scarves, towels, and bags that would end up on the floor or cluttering up other places. I painted a shelf that wasn't being used and put a basket on it to keep the toiletries that used to clutter the top of my dresser.

BEFORE


AFTER:







I bought the same bamboo shades we have in the living room and stairwell, and then used our old dining room curtains and old living room curtain rods for a warmer, more neutral look.



I had this cute sign we bought on vacation right before we had Riley and it never really looked right. I repainted it with leftover paint from the dining room, and did the lettering in black. I added a ribbon to the back to hang it.










And there it is! I wish the photos came out better because they really don't do it justice. I love how my room has such a warm and cozy feel to it now, and is so much more clean and organized! Now I'm ready for all those extra hours and long nights with baby in my beautiful, new room!

8 comments:

Sara said...

It looks AWESOME, Melissa!!! Can you come do my room now?? :) I love those electric fireplaces. We bought one last year for our then-newly created family room (we have a HUGE breezeway that was wasted space, so we converted it into a family room/play room) and use our electric fireplace all the time.

Tami said...

Great job! Our bedroom is also a mess...although ours is usually covered with laundry. Your new room looks beautiful:o)

Anonymous said...

great job again Melissa - I think I need to hire you for ideas for whenever we could finally do something with our house.
Christi

Jenney said...

This looks awesome Melissa! However, did you know you are not supposed to be around paint or painting while you are preggo?
Perhaps we should have hired you as our interior designer before we started "making over" our house to sell it! SO MUCH WORK! Good job!

Melissa said...

Thank you everyone! Well...as long as it is well ventilated, the paint isn't an issue. I painted all through my last 2 pregnancies and they both turned out fairly normal ;). I'd be happy to help out anyone who wants suggestions for makeover ideas anytime! :)

Terri said...

It looks SWEET!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your style and taste! I love the black look on the furniture and what a great idea for hooks and baskets etc. for clutter. I need to work on that - usually my dresser has laundry waiting to be put away to the ceiling as well as other clutter I don't put away right away like I should. LOVE the cute sign too!!
I've been dying to make a headboard after watching HGTV but have NO handy skills so I chicken out worrying I'll waste the money and screw it up.

Mary Vigil said...

I have a room you could do - you are so talented - I LOVE IT!

Hannah said...

Greg job! It looks amazing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin