Tuesday, October 5, 2010

George Eastman House



On Saturday, my brother had free admission to the George Eastman House through work and he invited the kids and I to go with him. I hadn't been there since my sophomore year of college, so it was fun to go back and have the kids with us too. Their commentary through the house was hilarious. The kids said their favorite part was the big elephant head and the garden because it had a maze (really, just pathways through it). I love the house - it looks like something straight out of a Jane Austen story ...or like the perfect setting for a haunted house story haha.

Heading to the entrance


The first floor




These books were all real - I checked :).








Posing on the stairway with Uncle Tim


View from the landing


The kids were really disappointed we couldn't go up to the third floor. They really wanted to see what was up there.




They loved this secret safe that was hidden under one of the stairwells. They said they'd put their secret treasure in there so no one could find it.


When we walked into the room with this big desk, Riley said, "And THIS is where he did his homework!"


There was a small kid's discovery room. These were mutoscopes where they could turn a crank and watch cards flip to create a primitive animated cartoon.


Cheese!




They made a few prints with shapes and letters.






There was a great view of one of the gardens from the discovery room.


This is the "maze" they loved. :)


Chillin' with George.


Looking at the goldfish in the pond


The grounds....beautiful.








There was a sign in the museum explaining how Mr. Eastman originally built the house for $300,000 and then decided he didn't have enough space for entertaining so he essentially had the house cut in half and expanded to add 10 feet to the main room. This cost him $700,000, over double the amount he spent to build the house, and he was denied by the contractors he wanted to hire because they thought he was crazy. He eventually found someone to do it for him. It would probably cost millions to build the same house today. Amazing.










Hard to believe someone once lived here as a home. What a gorgeous place.

2 comments:

Jenney said...

I still want to read your blog when you go stealth...count me in!!!!!!
Oh, and this house/grounds is WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!

Sara said...

This place is amazing! So beautiful!!! Its very hard to imagine living in a place like that... :)

I think I responded to another post (but left my email, so maybe you didn't publish my comment), but just wanted to make sure I was on your list to keep looped, too! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin