Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Golden Nectarine

Tonight at dinner we had a "clean out the fridge and cupboards" meal since tomorrow we are headed to Michigan to visit family and have some vacation time (yay!). I cut up the last nectarine for us to share, which of course is the favorite food of choice on the table, and had saved the last bite of my one small mommy piece till the end of my meal. Riley spotted it on my plate and very sweetly and politely asked if he could have it, since he gobbled his at the beginning of the meal. I hesitated, because I really wanted that last bite, but wanting to show him love I handed it over and said, "Here you go, because I love you buddy." He got a big grin on his face as I watched him enjoy that last juicy bite that should have been mine and he said, "No matter what." (Which is what I tell him all the time...I love you. No matter what. He often reminds of that last statement when I leave it off.) Then he said something that made that one tiny sacrifice all worth it and then some. "I love you too. You are the best momma." I'd give up all the nectarines in the world for that. It reminded me that when we try to hold on to the little insignificant things that we want so much, we may be missing out on even greater gifts God has for us.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin