Monday, September 14, 2009

Pear Fest 2009



It's that time of year again! Pear Time! Every year, for the last 4 years we have been blessed with a beautiful, bountiful harvest of Bartlett pears from our pear tree. (And by bountiful, I mean close to 1000 pears!) This year, we decided to make an event of it and invited a kitchen-full of friends over to help with the peeling, slicing, shredding, mixing, baking, and canning process. We worked from 9:30 am - 4:30 pm with people coming in and out all day, so we had plenty of help. And everyone got to go home with pear goodies from pear crisp to bread to jars and we have plenty left to freeze and store! It was a lot of fun, and a tradition we plan on continuing in the future!



Here are a few pictures from our pear-picking day a couple weeks ago. I only have a few pictures this year, because my camera battery died. We did have help from some friends too, although I never was able to get a photo of it :(.






Special thanks to Carolyn, Jayne, Allison, Ellen, and Nan for the helping hands and fabulous company! :)





















To view photos from last year's pear picking, as well as a couple of our favorite pear recipes, you can click here or search for the label "pears" on the sidebar!

5 comments:

Sara said...

That is so awesome!! We have many, many pear trees on our property, but they're way overgrown and have never been sprayed or anything. I'm going to work on them this winter, doing some major pruning and try out some organic ways of keeping the pests away. Do you guys spray your trees? Or are you just blessed with healthy trees and no pests or disease?

Melissa said...

No, we have never needed to spray it, and the pears come out pretty perfect, so we are fortunate. I've heard other species of pear trees are more susceptible to pests and disease though, more so than the Bartlett. Our problem is using them all before they rot because we get so many, and this is the first year we didn't have to throw any away!!!

Jenney said...

Yummy! that reminds me I need to call my friend and ask if hers are ready to be picked...she just throws them away!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! In honor of pear fest, we had your pear preserve for supper with some homemade corn bread made by the boys.

Quiltingranny said...

Yummy! I love pears and am baking a pear bread tomorrow!
Please stop by and join my blog and sign up for Septembers giveaway. I am a grandmother raising 3 grandchildren and there is always something going on!
http://quiltingranny.blogspot.com/2009/09/fabric-and-notion-giveaway.html

Blog Widget by LinkWithin