Thursday, June 17, 2010

Freshening Up


This week I decided I was ready to freshen up our bedroom. While I was pregnant with Elijah, I painted the dark trim white, which really helped brighten up the room. You can read about that in the post here. (I still need to paint the top molding as you'll see in the photos). But the wall color in there, as much as I liked it, made it feel too dark. I wanted something more light and refreshing and I wanted to declutter it.



I have really been falling in love with the color gray lately and I found this gorgeous shade of gray that had a slight hint of blue and of green in different lighting but was still very neutral. It's hard to capture the color in the photos, especially with the lighting and angles in there, but here are a few pics to show you what I've been up to! It's amazing how a coat of paint can change the whole feel of a room. I'm SO happy with how it turned out. It's almost spa-like with the crisp whites and black accents (especially the headboard we made)! I also hope to use this color in our entryway when we get that finished and now I'm thinking downstairs powder room too....





I also moved my dresser into my closet to help simplify the room a bit. I love my dresser and think it's a beautiful piece of furniture, but it's not practical to have it out in the room when it fits nicely in my closet and adds that much more space to our room. If we ever have a bigger room someday I will happily pull it out! This made a little more space for the bassinet, which we still use on occasion, and once Elijah outgrows it I would love to find some kind of cool chair or something to go there. I'll be keeping my eyes open :).





Another change I made was to our bedding. We have been using a down blanket for awhile now, and it was very warm for the winter, but I've been longing for a soft, cozy comforter. I knew I wanted crisp white (easily interchangeable should I ever want to change up the pillow or sheet color, plus I am really picky about patterns). I found a textured pin-tuck style from west elm that I fell in love with, but didn't fall in love with the price tag...so I started my mission of finding a look-alike for less.

Here is the west elm version - around $170 once you add tax and shipping and doesn't include shams.


Found similar style at Target - reviews said to size up cause it runs small so king size cost $99 before shipping and tax. Better, but still too much!

After weeks of googling and waiting I found on ShopNBC, on clearance, this set, shams included. I used Ebates (I'll have to post about that soon too!) and got an additional 10% off plus I will get another 2.5% back in my Ebates account,so grand total came to right around $40! And the kicker, the west elm set is 230 thread count and reviewers said it wasn't super soft, but the shopnbc version is 300 thread count and it's like sleeping under a cloud! :) For that price difference, and softness I am defintely okay with the knock off!



And here it is at home on my bed! :)




I also simplified the room by taking down a lot of the wall hangings and I painted a simple mural on the wall above the fireplace/entertainment stand. I love vinyl, but wanted to keep it cheap and you all know how much I love to paint on walls, so this was the perfect opportunity. I used white for the tree branch and the dining room color I had leftover for the birds. Hard to get a good photo with the sun shining so bright from the opposite wall, but here it is...





And the final section of the room that I am still finishing up is here. This is my problem area, so I'm working on a solution. (The door to our room used to open the other way too by the way (awkward!)...we flipped that around when I painted the trim last fall and it is so much nicer plus I can hide my hooks of purses and towels behind the door!) I got a steal on this mirror that is going to hang on that wall. Then I am trying to decide what to build that can hold all of my toiletries and stuff I use to get ready in the morning. Probably a small bookcase with some wicker baskets. Since we don't have a master bathroom, which is where I would probably keep all of those goodies, I need a spot for it in our room and this is where it tends to end up. I'll try to share a pic when I get that section finished.


So there we go! Hope you enjoyed this little tour of our freshened up room! In case you are thinking about painting, or repainting, I have a post coming up about choosing paint color that may help you out so stay tuned!

3 comments:

A Cooking Bookworm said...

Oh, I love it!!! So elegant...yet casual and comfortable! Just what a bedroom should be!

Did I mention I love it?! Love the color! Love the dark, black wood and accents! Love the white trim! Love the mural!

Love that you did it on the 'cheap,' too! Much more inspiring when people get creative, through clearance finds or DIY projects!

LOVE IT! Great job! Can I hire you to redo mine?? :-) - Although I couldn't ever have a white or light comforter. I had a pretty cream duvet cover when we first got married, but Ben sweats too much... :-( I've made my last 2 duvets, backing the first with tea-stained muslin and our current one with a tan/dark khaki colored king sheet, which helps hide discoloration.

Anyway -- love your final result!!

Terri said...

love it! and I WILL stay tuned for the paint talk.

Melissa said...

Thank you! Haha Steph your comment made me laugh about the sweat :). That's awesome that you've been making your own duvets! I'm impressed. I think I would totally love being a design consultant...maybe when the kids get a little older...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin